Thursday 5 June 2014

Time to Migrate?

It’s hot and sultry. I look up at the AC vents and then at my co-passengers, sweat trickling down my face. Suddenly a bunch of newspapers is shoved into my hand. I turn around to find my husband sitting behind me, signaling me to fan myself cool.

I resign myself to my fate and take out my laptop in the hope of forgetting the heat and the sweat in the company of my e- books. I start out reading ‘Unsettled’ by Neelima Vinod. The going is good. I am transported to another world. I find myself ‘face to face’ with Shankara and Thatri. The excitement is building up. But just when I am trying to figure out what Thatri’s reaction will be when she finds out Shankara’s intentions, the screen goes blank. The spell is broken.

I press the keys frantically hoping to revive the 3 kg thing sitting comfortably on my lap. But to no avail. The batteries have failed once again. I curse the manufacturers. The dealer too is not spared. I curse the day I decided to buy my laptop. ‘Unsettled’ had to wait till I reached my daughter’s nest. I am left unsettled.

A week later I am on my return journey. Looking out through the window I catch sight of a the mountain ranges bathed in the morning mist. I close my eyes, allowing the beauty of the sight to seep in. I hear a knock on the doors of my brain. I open it. A whiff of cool air enters. An idea is born. I pull out the laptop. The batteries have been charged fully. Yet I let out a silent prayer pressurizing the heavens to let the idea be transported into my file in entirety without a hitch.

My fingers fly on the keyboard, words flow from the finger tips. The milieu, the chattering doesn't deter me. Slowly the world and all around me fade into oblivion. What remains is me, my laptop and my ideas taking the shape of a story. 20 minutes into my endeavor coffee arrives. I take it without taking off my eyes from the screen. I take a sip, then another. The cup is set aside. My fingers once again move to give words to my thoughts. I press ‘K’, press it again and again. No response. Baffled I look to the top of the screen. The message, “Windows is not responding” stares me back.  I am stuck. I feel like tearing at my hair. The 3 kg thing weighs me down. My husband pities the manufacturers and the dealer as I mouth my shrap  (curse).

“Useless baggage,” I muttered to myself. The decision was made. The ‘thing’ would not accompany me on my journeys in future. My husband suggested I choose something small and handy, a tablet maybe. I was skeptical. Yet I decided to look out for something worthwhile and that is when I came across this site.

“Whoa!” I said when I checked out the 2-in-1 Ultra portable laptop with 10 inch tablet ASUS Transformer Book T100 a laptop with detachable tablet. The features, the size all seemed to match my wants. The size, the OS are perfect but what about the battery I asked myself. Will it last the journey from Calicut to Trivandrum?  That’s when my eyes caught sight of something catchy. “Take charge of power that never wants to end” said the slogan. I looked below it and a smile spread across my face.”Nothing will slow you down ever again with the ASUS Transformer Book T100’s incredible battery life, an astounding 11 hours of continuous web browsing keeps you connected longer and always in action. With the accelerated ASUS Instant On and Microsoft Instant Go technology, the ASUS Transformer Book T100 is always ready to perform when you are.” Now isn’t that cool I asked myself. The journey from Calicut to Trivandrum by rail is around nine hours and the assured battery life of ASUS Transformer Book T100 as per the manufacturer’s, is 11 hours. Now you know what I mean. “No interruption, no jhanjhat. Only mazza hee mazaa.”

Powered by Intel Atom Processor Z3740 this 2-in-1 ultraportable laptop has a 1.2 mega pixel camera. Now that’s another advantage that I did not have with my laptop. Suddenly I remembered my half written story inspired by the mountains, on my last journey. I knew if I had something like this then, the scene would have been captured in the lens for me to savour at my will.

Aah! And if the manufacturers are to be believed, “the keyboard dock perfectly designed 19mm travel distance provides a comfortable typing experience….” Being one, who likes to continuously give expression to her feelings, her opinions and her thoughts in her blogs, now this is something that interests me? The US3.0 Super Speed Port and easy access to the Windows Store and X Box live will I am sure add spice to the experience. Last but not the least, the weight a little over 500 gms means ‘less weight, more comfort.’ So no more back aches, no more ‘moov.’

I am on the verge of making up my mind, when something hits me like a bolt from the blue. The price!!! A whooping 32,999/- (INR). Mind you this is the ‘best buy price.’ I wonder and then decide. Let’s wait, watch and pray. The price may go down or who knows Lady Luck may smile on me. A gift wrapped ASUS Transformer Book T100 may arrive someday.


And now here's a peek into the thing that caught my fancy 
ASUS TRANSFORMER BOOK T100


*********************************


This post is written for the 

ASUS - TIME TO TRANSFORM CONTEST on INDIBLOGGER


Inviting you to visit my blog FABRIC OF LIFE too, to read the latest.




Please leave your footprints in the form of comments and suggestions. Your words mean a lot to me.



No comments :

Post a Comment

Facebook Blogger Plugin: Bloggerized by AllBlogTools.com Enhanced by MyBloggerTricks.com